Thursday 21 March 2019

504 Play...

Taking a break from working on the book using textures and shape in the way that I have recently, I stumbled upon a different method of creating character through quite strict use of shape and order. This was initially inspired by some illustrations I stumbled upon on whilst researching styles of children's book illustration:




Both these images where produced in Norway for the book, Norske Malebøker by Einar Økland. There's a really endearing quality to the drawings in their precise and articulate use of shape/form. The combinations of these shapes has evidently been really thought through, providing beautifully composed images. The colours give of a similar effect, although slightly muted, this seems to add to the magic of the imagery further as they do not distract too much from the structural quality.







Using sets of concentric circles placed in a uniform arrangement over the page, I could create imagery which managed to maintain an almost skeletal like inner structure that helped in forming an alliance between components of the image. This would actually be a really great way of producing the illustrations for this book. 

The reason being, it actually relates quite perfectly to the concept of the book. Which aims to portray the diversity of life on Earth whilst simultaneously communicating the similarity between us all as well as tones of unity/harmony that if understood better we could prosper from. This realisation has led me to think I may experiment with this style a bit further to see where it may lead too. 
I have also found that I simply seem to enjoy this method of creating far more than what I've been doing recently. For the sake of my final production, I think it's necessary for me to be as mentally behind the work I'm making as possible. 

Final Reflective Report

The extended project has allowed me to investigate a range of concepts and practical processes that are fundamental to my practice. I feel...