Wednesday 29 April 2020

WIP Feedback Reflection

So following the feedback received from Pat the other day my design concept for the publication has had quite a shift. Pat helped in reminding me to stick to my guns and work in a way that is authentic to my practice and consistent with the aesthetic that I've developed throughout the course of this brief. I didn't ask any specific questions as I struggled to think of anything but thought getting a general opinion on the work I have to date would be more than useful. There were a few key areas of the feedback that I'd like to shortly run through in terms of how they've affected my intentions for the rest of this brief:

- Keep going with the airbrushed style imagery. This style of making I have really enjoyed and impressed myself with throughout the project so far. It is a new element of my practice which deserves to be pushed further in order to create a look and feel to my work that is new and exciting. Pat emphasised this in reference to the Cyborg and naked lady pieces that I've made recently. I intend to include both of these works in the publication as well as creating more imagery through a similar process. 

- Taking influence from old magazines/vintage, dated artefacts. Another aspect of my recent work that Pat praised was the treatment of images which gave them a feeling of being an imagined relic or past artefact. He suggested that I take this further potentially creating the whole publication with this in mind. I really like this idea and it helped me to realise that the initial design (in terms of layout/colours/style) was not a bit of me, which was probably why I was finding it so difficult to design. I'm not sure whether I want the whole publication to be made as an old magazine. However, I definitely want to draw inspiration from dated magazines and include a sense of it existing in another time through applying similar details such as scribbled barcodes, labels, doodles and texture. 

- How will the publication be presented? The GIFs work well, will you include moving image/type into the final presentation of it? At the moment I am designing the publication for print. This is my base aim as I just want to make sure that I have something finalised and polished for submission which I could eventually print when things return to normal. Although what I am hoping is that I will finish the print design with ample time to explore ways of presenting the publication digitally. I am not that aware of processes such as coding just yet (want to explore after submission) so I doubt I'll be able to present as a website. However, I've already been thinking of maybe adding moving aspects to the spreads and presenting online somehow. With music incorporated as well this could lead to a really strong and unifying display of the work. 

Final Reflective Report

The extended project has allowed me to investigate a range of concepts and practical processes that are fundamental to my practice. I feel...