Monday 27 April 2020

Reflective Post


First thing I want to say is that it's been a struggle. I returned home initially with so much motivation and had a solid week where I was working non-stop. However, this hit a brick wall and afterwards finding that motivation and drive again began to prove really difficult. I've just found myself devoid of motivation as at times I question what I'm even working for, having spent four years studying for this degree only to have to finish it off sat alone in my bedroom!?... 

So it's been a bit of a constant battle with this side of my mind but I have come to realise that there's no way I want to reach the end of all this hard work and have nothing to show for it. Having put so much effort and seeing myself grow so much as a practitioner I owe it to myself and everyone else that's helped and supported me along the way! 

The majority of the work that I have been creating post uni closure has all been pieces inspired by different aspects of the interview with Daniele Baldelli. Some vague, some more relevant. I have also been looking into different ways through which I can visually display my images, like record sleeves, CD cases and posters. This work doesn't necessarily have a space in my final set of outcomes as I haven't really been creating it with that specific function in mind. It's more been a way for me to keep the ball rolling as well as figuring out the visual language through which I want to accompany the text in the publication.

Some of the work that I've been enjoying the most is the Donna Summer re-designs which I think worked really nicely and could sit within the publication (housing interview) really well; or maybe as posters. Also the airbrush digital cyborg painting I created came out cool. I have found myself working with photography and scans a lot more since being home which I've enjoyed. 

At this current moment in time I am now (desperately) trying to piece the publication together, which I plan to create on InDesign and display digitally as a mocked up version of what I would have created had the world remained plague-free. My initial idea was to create a series of posters alongside this, however due to the time lost because of the situation I am thinking of allowing myself a bit of slack and keeping the publication is my priority. However, I do still intend to at least have one poster to accompany the publication which would work in an exhibition space - potentially animated to suit the digital realm. 

I'm feeling a teeny bit overwhelmed right now with the publication as I'm struggling to find a consistent visual language that can carry on throughout it whilst still allowing it to be somewhat dynamic and playful. These are elements that exist within the DJ process (is that how you'd call it?) of Daniele Baldelli which I have been attempting to transfer into my design process. Saying this though, if you look at the last slides of the above slideshow you can see some page examples that I have been experimenting with which I am liking. 

Final Reflective Report

The extended project has allowed me to investigate a range of concepts and practical processes that are fundamental to my practice. I feel...