Thursday 31 October 2019

6 Memos

My 6 Memos:
  • Playful
  • Interdisciplinary 
  • Communicating the impact of the digital age
  • Shape Driven
  • Loud use of colour
  • Graphic
Coming up with a list of 6 memos that define and motivate my practice was surprisingly difficult. I had to take a look through all of the work I have created to date and consider which processes and concepts I find most enjoyable and effective in communicating my personal viewpoint. Once I had come up with 6 memos I just began creating imagery with them all in mind. Playing with character and abstraction was really fun. I think that's another area of my process that I need to acknowledge more as it definitely ends up in a lot of the work I create. I decided to use the 6 outcomes I created to create a sequential narrative of sorts. I haven't worked this way for a while but I found the final set of images worked really well together, I would definitely like to work in this style again soon - maybe FMP? 'Graphic' is one I'm not too sure about as I don't reallllyyy know what I mean by this. I guess what I'm implying is that I like my work to be bold and clear. However, I don't want this to act as a restriction. The visual language in my practice has changed a fair bit over the last couple years and I really don't think that's a bad thing. The idea of 'style', which I was first made aware of during foundation, is a scary thing. I think that it's a great thing for many creatives however similarly I think it can be a double edged sword. I have never bothered wasting mental energy trying to think up a clear consistency within my work, I hope that there is a consistency of sorts throughout the work I make but to be quite honest, I guess I (the creative) am the consistency! It's always going to be my brain and hand that executes an image and that's all I need. Style might become more obvious in my work as my practice evolves, or it may not, I don't really care to much. Just gonna keep on creating. Spiel over. 


Final Reflective Report

The extended project has allowed me to investigate a range of concepts and practical processes that are fundamental to my practice. I feel...