Sunday 2 February 2020

Texture


During third year I have started to introduce texture into my work quite a lot more which I've found has given it a tactility which works really nicely. Originally I would just use pinterest to find textures to use but after listening to a podcast with George Wylesol (@wylesol_) I was inspired to start creating a personal folder full of different textures that I can use for future work. 




I just used a piece of work from a past 603 brief but here you can see how overlaying the paper textures on top of a piece of digital work can give it an organic quality which resonates with something produced with a more analogue process. Slightly deceiving but think it looks really nice and can definitely be mucked around with a lot more which I look forward to doing. In the podcast I was listening to, Wylesol discussed his process and his love of textures. He went into detail about how he goes about creating these textures and his methods are often quite playful. From crumpled paper, to scanning the scanner (if that makes sense!) he uses a broad range of techniques to accumulate his textures. When he applies texture to his work he notes that it really affects the colours in the originally block digital art works. Here's a few examples of his work:


Final Reflective Report

The extended project has allowed me to investigate a range of concepts and practical processes that are fundamental to my practice. I feel...