Friday 15 May 2020

Design Boards - Cover Spreads


1:
  1. Research into posters that have advertised Baldelli's previous gigs was necessary as I was keen to try and capture elements of the visual style that he personally likes to associate with his music. Through my research I did end up finding quite a variety of styles and visual languages, meaning I could be quite open in how I wanted to interpret the design for the cover spread. 
  2. "
  3. "
  4. I liked the idea of incorporating an image of him in some form or another over the cover pages. However, I didn't want to be too literal with the design and cop out. More wanting to take inspiration, maybe create an illustration of him myself to sit on the front. 
  5. For a while I was wondering whether this photo should sit on the very front of the publication, using the space around it to create a really magazine inspired cover spread informed by my previous research into magazine covers from the 70s/80s era. This didn't seem quite right though, felt as though it would undermine the rest of the publication inside and not really do it justice. 
  6. Here was a doodle I made whilst racking my mind for ideas, developed from the photo of Baldelli in image 4 this close up view of his face could be worked into quite an engaging and striking front cover design. Using a similar rendered process would mean I wouldn't be striving for a life like image of Baldelli, but rather a cosmic influenced interpretation of him. Decided to take it onto the computer and give it a whirl.
2:
  1. Vector shape base, ready for transfer into photoshop for development. 
  2. Once I had started applying colour and tone I realised the image was very far from the original photo that had inspired this design. It began looking very alien like, which I guess is fitting, however I started wondering whether I could be designing this in a more intelligent way that is a bit more me. 
  3. Incorporating a title into the previous design would not have been easy and so I decided to reduce the size of the design, giving some space around it where text could be places. Experimented with Lucky as the typeface for the title, but felt it didn't relate much to the futuristic style that the image has. Tried to create a sticker/label component for the cover in order to push the idea of it being an aged copy of a magazine. I don't think this one is working too well, it doesn't look very realistic which is what I would prefer -  the whole thing is looking pretty corny and not nice at the minute. 
  4. Making the background black seemed to help a bit, gave more focus to the image and distinguished it from the rest of the cover. Added a new typeface for the title (Buster) and gave it a 3D metallic feel which does look quite cool but I don't think it's necessary here. Also seems to blend in with the art work too much causing the overall design to become quite sloppy and blended. 
  5. White background? Hmmm.... Nope. 
  6. To try and pull the back and front covers together a bit more, decided to pull the image over so that the spine ran through the centre of it. As an a3 spread this may look ok however, when I covered either side to see how it would look printed, I realised the space either side was too vast. Also made adding the text a bit difficult as it would have to be super condensed/small or on it's side - which might make it difficult to read. 
  7. Right, so now things started to get interesting again. Found this beautiful typeface called 'Cosi Azure'. I thought it did great justice to Baldelli and the story he tells throughout the interview, it seemed cool and playful but at the same time sophisticated which I think are attributes that well describe Daniele himself. Funnily enough I also discovered this on the font description on the designers website: 

(So perfect! Very similar to the beautiful mediterranean 
views of Lake Garda that Baldelli had from his 
house whilst working at Cosmic.)


Not feeling this idea, so decided to leave it there and move on. Onwards and upwards! 


3:
  1. Annoyingly I forgot to grab any screenshots of the initial process of this design idea. Was too excited about where it was going and ended up flattening and saving the file before I had remembered to do so... So I'll briefly explain, the space images that I found to use where from an old atlas that I found lying around at home. I'd had the images saved on my laptop for a while, wanting to use them but never finding the right moment - until now. There is quite a retro feel in the imagery that fits in nicely with the overall theme of the publication. It is quite a literal design considering the piece is about Cosmic Disco, however I actually think this works in quite a funny yet also attractive way thanks to the beauty of these images. Decided to maintain the box layout and contrast the planetary image within it with a outer space image that extends all the way across the cover spread, exhibiting stars and a galaxy on the back cover. The typeface also worked a lot better with this design, at times it does look quite 70s/80s to me. Through the little details such as the twist in the spine of the 'D' or the angular accents to the serifs, it achieves an unconventional appearance simultaneously. Big fan. This bit of text in the centre is the subheading that was used in the original online form of the interview. Having this on the front cover means that the viewer is able to get a bitesize understanding about what the publication is going to be about. It also is a feature that you could expect to see on a magazine, helping to propel that side of my intentions. The white line that travels from the end of 'Daniele' to the beginning of 'Baldelli' was a feature I decided to include in order to ensure that people who may not be familiar with him are aware that that is his name rather than two separate names. The typeface will help to communicate this too, but just wanted to make sure. 
  2. Here you can see that I've used the shape of the main type to cut away sections of the planet imagery that sits behind the text. This makes his name and the image behind merge together slightly and also makes the name clearer to read. Blending an image of the galaxy back over its edited version on the back cover allowed me to achieve some more definition in it which was needed as it was slightly beginning to look like an accidental mark. Was now also ready to start adding details that could further enhance the magazine concept. Starting with a barcode which I used the brush over, again to give the design a sense of intrigue that prompted the reader to consider it existing in another time/place. 
  3. Wanted to try adding a sticker, this time a bit more realistic than the previous attempt. To do this I actually used one from a scan of a CD case I had made a while ago. Just to get the shape and hopefully a bit of texture (got no texture...). I wanted to use this sticker to have 'Issue 1' situated. Suggesting that this piece is part of a series slotted in with the concept of it being a magazine again. Also once I have handed this in I could use it as an opportunity to create more similar publications. Changed the mark over the barcode to this pink blotch which looked a bit more like a highlighter that someone had quickly run over it. Maybe the owner of a shop who was reducing its price as it hadn't sold? Who knows. Used the space next to the barcode to include some more details that gave it more of a polished and realistic finish. At the bottom is the actual URL of the original interview, which gives credit to Electronic Beats. Then above are some little components that I found on a CD that I had scanned in. Just helps in tying the overall design together and making it look like something that as actually been bought (or is available for sale). 
  4. Inverted the inner section of the front cover, nice colours but not as effective as the initial idea. 
  5. Inverted the whole thing here, discussed with a friend whether should keep it like this and have the back cover black. As would relate to the b&w theme throughout the inside. Does work quite well. 
  6. After a chat with my Dad about the final design I had come to for the cover, he suggested making one of the planets a disco ball. My first reaction to this was 'no', as I thought it would be way to literal. But, I gave it a go (couldn't help myself) and by applying it really subtly so that only a portion of it was visible, it actually looked great. Quite kitschy but effective and not instantly obvious either. Well done Dad. Another change that was made here was the sticker, which I made into a rounded rectangle and changed the type to a digital typeface. Wanted to do this to evoke a sense of the technology that Baldelli was using at the time. Also applied some crinkled texture which made it look more like a sticker. A final touch was to add a date in the top left corner. At first I didn't want to do this as I wanted to keep that aspect of it a mystery. But deciding to leave the year as '0000' meant I could still achieve this effect. 

Mock Ups:

  1. When mocking up the cover, I found this great psd for a plastic sleeve that would house the publication. With a couple of stickers on the front I was able to achieve a finish that looked like a real magazine. Adding details such as a price tag and a slightly ripped sticker reading, 'Exclusive' where good final touches. The final design has maintained a good relevance to the inside of the publication and the concept that I have strived for in my ideas throughout this process. 

Final Reflective Report

The extended project has allowed me to investigate a range of concepts and practical processes that are fundamental to my practice. I feel...