Friday 15 May 2020

Design Boards - Animation



DISCLAIMER: 

I only managed to get after effects running properly on my laptop around a week before submission, as I had an ongoing issue with 'scratch disks being full' - meaning I was unable to preview any of the work I wanted to make whilst using the software. I recently figured out how to sort this problem out which is quite frustrating as had I had access to the program for the duration of this brief I would have pushed the process a lot more in my final outcomes. It is an element of my practice that I really wanted to explore more deeply in this project especially. I will just have to make peace with this and ensure I experiment with it more following submission. Have still managed to make this animation in the nick of time that showcases the publication and works as a tool to market it.

Back to business:

1: 
The idea I had in creating this short animation was to use it as a way to promote my publication in the digital environment. Even though there was not much time left to make this I thought that anything would be better than nothing, and was just desperate to get back into the software as I really enjoy using it and find the process very rewarding. After having such a great eureka moment with the invention of the planet disco ball towards the end of the cover spread design process, I decided it would be great if I could develop this concept further through the use of moving image. This slide evidences the photoshop file that I used as the foundation for the after effects file that I was to work on. I wanted to create a spinning planet disco ball for the end of the animation (following the presentation of the publication). This posed quite a challenge as after effects is not really made for 3D design/animation. However, I found out you could 'spherize' a flat layer to give it a three dimensional quality and I could therefor achieve the spinning effect. 

2: 
- This is what I did once I had transferred the layers over to after effects, I had to erase some of the disco ball other wise it looked very cut and pasted. Also the way it was included on the cover spread was nice and I wanted to achieve a similar kind of effect in this animation in order to ensure continuity between the two visual symbols. With the sphere effect added to that layer I was then able to add rotation keyframes which gave the effect of the planet being a disco ball and spinning around in space. 
- I didn't manage to capture enough process screenshots whilst developing this and once I had remembered to do so, yet again, the layers had all been flattened meaning I couldn't get any specific progress shots. But from that point I added more details to give the scene a look of being in space. Such as stars in the background, glimmers on the disco ball reflecting as it spins, text reading, 'Cosmic Disco' rotating around the planet and also another spherized layer travelling the opposite way around the planet to suggest light hitting it. 
- Blending modes where important in creating this animation too as I used them to give more structure to the image, particularly liking the effect of 'Pin Light'. 
- I also got quite playful with the transitions available in the effects panel, using digital ones that resembled scan lines and digital glitch effects. This turned out successfully and along with the aesthetic of disco planet gave quite a fun lo-fi appearance to it all. Obviously trying to create a 3D animation on after effects for a semi AE noob is not going to result in a life like animation, however I'm really pleased with the result and think that it represents the tone of the publication and all the research I have accumulated perfectly.
- Over the whole animation I included one of Baldelli's own songs, 'Isotropofunk', very groovy and summative of his taste. As well as this I included some sound effects towards the end, a static noise as the image starts to disintegrate and then a little twinkle sound for when a small start flashes at the end, wanted it to come across somewhat like a cheeky wink, as if to say, "Until next time...". 

3:
- Having mulled over the final animation for a day or so I have decided to edit it slightly. I spoke to a few people about it and showed them to get second opinions, mostly positive however the general consensus seemed to be that the planet should appear at the beginning of the video rather than the end. As a way to introduce the topic. I completely agreed with this and decided to swap it around. Because of this I decided to remove the tv switching off effect at the end also as well as the twinkling star sound toward the end, I thought this might have been a slight over kill. 
- The aim with the planet scene at the beginning of the video was to give the vibe of a retro film camera shot, through adding noise and bright neon colours I think that this was achieved and it definitely has an 80s, vintage feel to it. This is excelled with the digital aesthetic that I made come across quite lo-fi. 
- Another decision was to transition the disco planet into the cover to make it appear that the planet spun back and was the same one as the one seen in the cover design of the publication. This is a good touch as it helps to link the two scenes together making the whole video have a bit more of a constant story running through it. 
- Lav it.

4: 
The GIF here just shows a couple of process shots of an idea I had for another bit of moving image. Unfortunately I don't know what AE was playing at but it made this project genuinely impossible for me. I couldn't achieve a smooth rotation of either shape and so when played back they just seemed to stagger around each other and it looked really clumsy. Given the right resources (and some help from the dearly missed technicians) I think this could have worked great as a digital poster. Alas. 

Final Reflective Report

The extended project has allowed me to investigate a range of concepts and practical processes that are fundamental to my practice. I feel...