Friday 1 May 2020

Typography Decisions


These are the two typefaces that I have decided to use throughout the publication. The first one being, Hiragino Kaku Gothic which can be applied in both the 'W3' or 'W6' bodies. I find this to be a suitable choice of typeface as it is fairly universal in its appearance whilst I think still being quite original and attractive. I like the idea of distinguishing between the questions and answers in the interview simply through the weights of the type. This type is apt considering the inspiration I'm taking from old magazines, which would also use simple easy to read, serif typefaces. This is to ensure that the text is accessible to as many as possible and easily understandable. 

Throughout the publication I aim to draw attention to certain sections of text from Baldelli. To do this I will use Athene Regular in a larger type size, probably around 20-25pt. Doing this will help me to break up the text occasionally and bring focus to some of the key sections of the story that is being told by Baldelli. I intend to use this font because it sits nicely amongst the Hiragino Kaku Gothic whilst providing a contrast to it at the same time which I think will bring a nice focus onto the bits of text that I decide to highlight. Personally I think that it shares some of the visual qualities of 'Bodoni' which is a very prolific Italian typeface.


I decided against using Bodoni as I find it a bit too smart and formal for this kind of a publication. Whereas Athene has notes of it whilst still maintaining a semi playful feel. The Italian influence also is obviously a great touch and aligns perfectly with the publications content. 

Final Reflective Report

The extended project has allowed me to investigate a range of concepts and practical processes that are fundamental to my practice. I feel...