Wednesday 8 January 2020

603 Studio Briefs 1,2 & 3 - Reflection

Creatively I have felt much more motivated and inspired throughout these recent projects. I think that beginning to understand my practice and ways of working more has helped this happen. This has given me more confidence in my work, in turn driving me to spend more time on projects than I have done up until now. I believe that learning to just go with my gut more when it comes to concepts and the development of them has enabled me to be more prolific in my idea generation - rather than over analysing my drawings when they're in their infant stage, which has a negative impact on the confidence I have for them. The outcomes I created for these three briefs do have a commonality between them. Playing around and abstracting shape and form is a process through which I find a lot of enjoyment. When I try to create work that speaks more literally I often become hung up on the details of that work and struggle with believing in the idea. Therefor, I think it's important for me to continue communicating my concepts with a more playful and subjective tone. 

Another commonality that I see throughout these briefs is a tendency to include texture in images that I may have worked on purely digitally. This has made me realise that I like to produce work with a tactility that resonates with the audience. As I find it gives some life to the image through suggesting physical process. Considering this, I think an aim of mine is to try and work with print more. Not just in the final stages of a project but more in the idea generation period. As using this as a method of generating ideas and development might help me with producing work that speaks more organically. I struggled most with the editorial brief. I found the concept quite restrictive, however I did enjoy trying to come up with a method of communicating it. But I don't think that my final idea came across as strongly as I'd have liked it to. In future it might be a good idea to be slightly less afraid of going with a more vague approach to communicating a concept like this. Rather than trying to produce a clear-cut piece to accentuate the article and regurgitate the meaning in the text. Producing an image that intrigues and excites the audience is just as (if not more) important than being able to make something that communicates exactly the same narrative of the text. 

My proudest piece has to be the work for stolen museum. I had so much fun just being playful with the shapes and forms found on the beautiful packaging of my artefact. Exploring the endless ways that these shapes could be rearranged was like working out a puzzle. Afterwards, whilst reflecting on my outcome and receiving feedback I came to realise that there was a narrative of sorts being suggested through the image. I think this came to effect by using a box style layout, like in 6 Memos, and using shape and tone to guide the viewer through the image. I really liked that this image was ambiguous, as it communicates a story that is interpreted differently by each viewer. And this is something that I am keen to explore further in the FMP. Creating narrative in a subjective way is what I would like to explore and I am currently thinking of doing so through an investigation of some sort of weird short fiction novel or perhaps exploring music some way. Need to get the thinking cap on!

Final Reflective Report

The extended project has allowed me to investigate a range of concepts and practical processes that are fundamental to my practice. I feel...